Grilled pork chops make a healthy and satisfying meal when paired with sweet glazed apples and mashed yams.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 26 min
- 3 medium garnet yams or sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup(s) skim milk
- 1/4 cup(s) packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon(s) unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoon(s) grated onion or shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) apple pie spice
- 3 large Golden Delicious apples, cut crosswise into 4 thick slices
- 8 (2-oz each) thin-cut boneless loin pork chops, about 1/2-inch thick
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Combine yams and milk in a 2-quart glass measure or bowl; cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high 10 minutes; let stand 5 minutes. Add sugar, butter, and 1/4-tsp each of the salt and pepper; mash until smooth. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat a double stovetop grill pan over medium heat. Adjust oven rack 6 inches from broiler source; heat broiler.
- In a 2-cup glass measure, whisk juice concentrate, mustard, onion, cumin, and spice; microwave on high 3 minutes or until glaze boils and begins to thicken. Arrange apple slices on broiler pan rack; brush apples with glaze. Broil 3 minutes, turn slices, then brush with more glaze. Broil second side 3 minutes or until lightly browned and tender.
- Meanwhile, season pork chops on both sides with remaining salt and pepper and lightly coat with cooking spray. Grill pork chops 7 minutes, turning once and brushing with remaining glaze, until just barely pink in thickest part when cut with a knife. Serve with apple slices and mashed yams.