Found this recipe for Brasied Paprika Chicken at Eating Well
Whole chicken legs, turkey sausage, tomatoes and fresh herbs are a delicious combination in this Catalan-inspired skillet supper.
Active Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Diabetes appropriate | Low calorie | Low carbohydrate | Healthy weight | Gluten free |
View Our Nutrition Guidelines
* 1 1/2 pounds whole chicken legs, thigh and drumstick separated
* 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
* 2 teaspoons peanut or canola oil, divided
* 8 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage links
* 2 teaspoons butter
* 2 large tomatoes, diced
* 2 large cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
* 1 large shallot, minced
* 1/2 cup white wine
* 1 sprig fresh rosemary
* 1 sprig fresh thyme
* 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
* 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
* 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
* 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
1. Remove skin from chicken and trim any excess fat. Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board; let cool slightly, then slice crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
3. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and butter to the pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
4. Add tomatoes, garlic, shallot, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 7 to 9 minutes. Add wine, rosemary and thyme and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Return the chicken and sausage to the pan, turning to coat with sauce. Cover and simmer until the chicken and sausage are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Stir broth and cornstarch together in a small bowl until smooth. Transfer the chicken and sausage to a serving dish with a slotted spoon. Discard the rosemary and thyme sprigs. Stir the cornstarch mixture, capers and lemon zest into the pan; bring to a simmer and cook until the pan juices are thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve the chicken with the sauce and garnish with parsley, if desired.
Per serving: 208 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 1 g fiber; 574 mg sodium; 293 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (17% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Exchanges: 3 lean meat