Here's a recipe from RedBook's collection of easy meals. This recipe for Turkey meatloaves puts a different spin on any type of meat loaf that I've ever seen.
Cooked couscous and grated veggies inside and a strip of bacon wrapped around the outside keep this quick turkey meatloaf moist. Serve with the Cranberry, Apple, and Walnut Relish.
By Frank P. Melodia
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 36 min
Oven Temp: 425
* 3/4 cup(s) water
* 1/2 cup(s) (scant) couscous
* 1 medium (6-ounce) zucchini, grated on large holes of a box grater
* 1/3 cup(s) finely chopped red onion
* 1/4 cup(s) finely chopped fresh sage leaves
* 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
* 1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
* 1 pound(s) ground turkey
* 1 large egg
* 1/4 cup(s) light-brown sugar
* 2 tablespoon(s) Dijon mustard
* 2 teaspoon(s) tomato paste
* 4 slice(s) bacon
* Cranberry, Apple, and Walnut Relish
1. Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in couscous, cover, and remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Transfer couscous to a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Stir in zucchini, onion, sage, salt, and pepper. Add turkey and egg and mix well to combine. Shape into 4 oval meatloaves, each about 1 1/2-inches thick; transfer to prepared baking sheet.
3. In a small cup, mix sugar, mustard, and tomato paste until blended and smooth; brush most of the mixture over meatloaves. Lay a bacon slice diagonally over each meatloaf and tuck ends under; brush bacon with remaining mustard glaze. Bake 30 minutes or until meatloaves are cooked through.
4. Turn on broiler; place meatloaves under broiler to crisp bacon, about 1 minute. Serve with Cranberry, Apple, and Walnut Relish
- 1 can(s) (16-oz) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 Golden Delicious apple, diced
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped, toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoon(s) snipped fresh chives