Tacos are delicious and fun to eat, especially when you've had day that was not quite a fiesta. Here is the first of a series of healthy taco recipes from Southern Living. This recipe is perfect for vegetarians looking for a new way to enjoy tacos.
Yield: Makes 16 tacos
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small eggplant, diced
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 16 (8-inch) soft taco-size corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- Toppings: shredded cabbage, crumbled queso fresco (fresh Mexican cheese)
1. Bring first 13 ingredients and 1 cup water to a boil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve vegetable mixture using a slotted spoon with warm tortillas and desired toppings.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per taco with flour tortilla and 1/2 cup vegetable mixture (not including toppings).
- 3.4g (sat 0.7g,mono 0.2g,poly 0.7g)