To go along with its collection of taco recipes, Southern Living shared some sauce recipes that you can use with many other recipes as well.
Prep: 10 min., Cook: 45 sec., Stand: 5 min. This sauce is nothing like Maria's fiery version. We toned down the heat, but we loved her method of soaking the pepper flakes. The bright green will eventually darken if you make it ahead, but it's just as good. Serve with any taco or on grilled meats.
Yield: Makes 3/4 cup (serving size: 1 tbsp.)
- 1 tablespoon dried crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 large bunches fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Microwave 1/4 cup water at HIGH 45 seconds. Add crushed red pepper, and let stand 5 minutes. Pour through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding liquid.
2. Process vinegar, next 5 ingredients, and 2 Tbsp. water in a food processor 5 to 10 seconds or until cilantro is finely chopped. Stir in crushed red pepper. Store in an airtight container up to 3 days.
- 4.8g (sat 0.7g,mono 1g,poly 3g)