Southern style favorites often carry more calories than most of us want to know about. Southern Living has slimmed down a whole bunch of southern dishes in their Lightened Southern Classics article. Here is one for Slow Cooker Beans and Rice.
Slow-Cooker Red Beans and Rice
Hands-on Time: 15 min.; Total Time: 7 hr., 15 min.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Other: 7 hours
Yield: Makes 10 cups (serving size: 1 cup with 1 cup rice)
- 1 pound dried red beans
- 3/4 pound smoked turkey sausage, thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- Hot cooked long-grain rice
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Garnish: finely chopped green onions, finely chopped red onion
1. Combine first 8 ingredients and 7 cups water in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 7 hours or until beans are tender.
2. Serve red bean mixture with hot cooked rice, and, if desired, hot sauce. Garnish, if desired.
Try These Twists!
Vegetarian Red Beans and Rice: Substitute frozen meatless smoked sausage, thawed and thinly sliced, for turkey sausage.
Per cup (with 1 cup rice): Calories 422; Fat 3.5g (sat 0.4g, mono 0.2g, poly 0.2g); Protein 21.5g; Carb 76.4g; Fiber 12.2g; Chol 0mg; Iron 6.1mg; Sodium 530mg; Calc 113mg
Quick Skillet Red Beans and Rice: Substitute 2 (16-oz.) cans light kidney beans, drained and rinsed, for dried beans. Reduce Creole Seasoning to 2 tsp. Cook sausage and next 4 ingredients in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until sausage browns. Add garlic; saute 1 minute. Stir in 2 tsp. seasoning, beans, and 2 cups chicken broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes. Serve with hot cooked rice and, if desired, hot sauce. Garnish, if desired. Makes 8 cups. Hands-on Time: 26 min., Total Time: 46 min.
Per cup (with 1 cup rice): Calories 424; Fat 3.2g (sat 1.1g, mono 0.2g, poly 0.4g); Protein 17.2g; Carb 79.5g; Fiber 7.6g; Chol 25mg; Iron 4.3mg; Sodium 804mg; Calc 76mg
- 2.1g (sat 0.8g,mono 0.2g,poly 0.2g)