Sacrificing flavor for healthier meals is never fun. Check out Southern Living's collection of Lightened Suppers and find something delicious and healthy to make and enjoy. Here is a lightened recipe for Tacos Al Pastor.
Tacos Al pastor is a Mexican dish featuring a pork and pineapple mixutre. By marinating the pork with pineapple, the protein in the pork breaks down resulting in very tender meat. These tacos are genererally served on soft tortillas and include cilantro, onions, lime juice, pineapple, and salsa.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Chill: 4 hours
Yield: Makes 6 tacos
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 (8-oz.) can pineapple tidbits in juice, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Mexican-style chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 (8-inch) soft taco-size corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- Toppings: chopped radishes, fresh cilantro leaves, crumbled queso fresco, chopped onions, chopped jalapeño
1. Combine pork and next 9 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Seal and chill 4 to 24 hours.
2. Cook pork mixture in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or until pork is done. Serve mixture with warm tortillas and desired toppings.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used McCormick Gourmet Collection Mexican-Style Chili Powder.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per taco with flour tortilla and 1/2 cup pork mixture (not including toppings).
Spicy Chicken-Pineapple Tacos: Substitute 1 lb. skinned and boned chicken thighs, chopped, for pork tenderloin. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Per taco with flour tortilla and 1/2 cup chicken mixture (not including toppings): Calories 230; Fat 10.4g (sat 2.3g, mono 3.5g, poly 1g); Protein 15.5g; Carb 17.7g; Fiber 0.8g; Chol 50mg; Iron 1.8mg; Sodium 564mg; Calc 62mg
- 8.1g (sat 1.9g,mono 2.8g,poly 1g)